Pavilion Compounding Pharmacy, LLC has secured a large amount of nystatin USP powder to meet the needs of our patients during the recent shortage. Our experience in compounding nystatin suspension over 20 years gives us a unique perspective to meet this shortage demand.
Nystatin Oral Suspension is used in both children and adults for oral candida or thrush. Nystatin is also widely employed in cancer and immunocompromised patients suffering from mucositis. While the commercial Nystatin Suspensions contain 50% sucrose, Pavilion Compounding Pharmacy compounds a sugar-free formulation which is useful for diabetics, mold & fungal patients, and those looking to enhance their treatment by avoiding sugar.
Additionally, nystatin is used in many formulations commonly referred as “magic mouthwash or miracle mouthwash.” While many formulations exist, the common ingredient in most is Nystatin. Other ingredients include but are not limited to diphenhydramine (Benadryl), lidocaine, Maalox or Mylanta, hydrocortisone, tetracycline, doxycycline, dexamethasone, and azithromycin.
A description of what each ingredient provides is listed below:
- Diphenhydramine – an antihistamine that can reduce inflammation and pain. Diphenhydramine is marketed commercially as Benadryl.
- Nystatin – antifungal for treating candidiasis.
- Lidocaine – an anesthetic frequently used in topical formulations that can reduce pain by numbing the mouth and throat.
- Hydrocortisone, dexamethasone – steroid that treats inflammation.
- Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Azithromycin – antibiotics for treating infection.
- Maalox/Mylanta – helps the active ingredients stay on the sores and affected areas of the mouth and throat longer.
Compounding formulation enhancements can also include the addition of Mucolox® which increases the contact of the medication to the mucosal tissue up to 24 times. Ask our knowledgeable compounding pharmacists how Mucolox® may shorten your heal time while providing a palatable formulation.
Flavoring of our suspensions can be bubblegum, grape, cherry, tutti-frutti, or orange, which we have found to be exceptional to mask the inherent bitter taste of the Nystatin. We also add an additional additive to reduce the bitterness, important so Children and finicky adults will be compliant with their regimens.
Pavilion Compounding Pharmacy also formulates the discontinued Mycostatin® Pastilles, or troches, utilized for many years by the medical profession.
If you are needing a filler friendly, gluten, lactose, corn, or dye free in an oral capsule formulation, we can meet that need too.
Give us a call to discuss your individual need for the use of Nystatin. Let our pharmacists, together with your provider, select the formula that would provide the best outcome for you or your family member.