There are many reasons to use compounded medicine.
- Variation: Another dosage form is needed (Oral, topical, liquid, sublingual, suppository).
- Potency: There is a need for individual and/or bulk compounding.
- Allergies: Commercially available preparations are not in the strength you need. Patient is allergic to fillers or dyes in commercially prepared formulations.
- Availability: The medication of choice is no longer available commercially. Often we can order the main chemical ingredient and compound the formulation.
- Side-Effects: The manufactured oral medication causes nausea or other gastric side-effects. We can often compound the medication topically for maximized benefits and minimized side-effects.
- Flavoring: The medication's flavoring needs to be changed to enhance compliance.